Grew up in Sweden, arrived in NYC 1988, since then I have spread the word of Swedish food!

My photo
Ängelholm, Sweden
Without knowing where this will lead I would love to share this journey with you.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Who made Beaches Bakeshop what it was?

It has been just over 2 weeks since I closed the door a final time to Beaches Bakeshop & Cafe at 900 Kingston Road. How do I feel, people ask. It's a hard question to answer. I tell them that in one way it is like a 12 year long Birthday Party celebration has just ended. You know when you throw a party and you are responsible for your guests wellbeing, tasty food, the food to look good and be available. You are also in charge of having enough staff, ingredients, that the washrooms are clean, and you are the one that have to deal with the leak in the basement when that happens. All this while your main purpose is to make your birthday guests feel welcome, happy and fed! I loved to be that spider in the web that was responsible for all that! I loved being the one that got the thumbs up when everything went well. As much as I loved all that I don't miss it now. Owning Beaches Bakeshop has given me so much over these years,  self confidence and knowledge about things I didn't know. I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to meet all the lovely customers over the years.

Rose, Caitlin, Victoria, 
It was far from only my doings at Beaches Bakeshop that made it the special place that it was. It was everyone who ever spent time in that space! For many years Rose was by my side and we complemented each other very well. She with her big smile while I was cooking away in the back. Then a new bakeshop era started when Lisa came onboard. I can't even start to list everyone we have had working in the kitchen from start till finish!
Tyrell
Mitzi
Courtney
Anna-Lis

Hannele
Lisa
Victoria #1, our in house politician, Victoria #2, who was convinced by her family she had to go to university even though baking was her passion, Caitlin, our dreamer and writer (who is having a baby later this year) Anna-Lis from Tallin, Estonia, Victoria #3 from Örebro, Sweden, Mariella, the hardworking baker from downtown Toronto, Mitzi with family from Finland and so exited to learn all the nordic styles of baking. Everyone remembers Hannele of course. She came in and did her magic. It was Pirakkas, Meatpies and Pulla! Sarah, our last Saturday helper is off to Ottawa and University studies. 


When I started the cafe my life looked very different than it does today. Married, 3 young kids and newly moved to Toronto. It was hectic times! But of course, as most people say when they look back on those years, so much fun! Every day was a race, school, lunches, activities, dinner & playdates. I thought it was a great idea to add a bakery to that mix. In hindsight it was a great idea but what was I thinking??
My passion for spreading the word of Swedish cooking started way before my time at Beaches Bakeshop. I decided early on that health and food was going to play a role in my life. As a graduated Home Economist & Teacher I arrived in NYC 1988. Countless are the meatballs I have rolled and the Swedish Cinnamon buns that have been baked!The latter one playing the biggest roll of all at Beaches Bakeshop & Cafe! I wonder how many people knew how to identify a Swedish Cinnamon Bun form a regular cinnamon bun before?

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Anna. Keep them coming. We haven’t made the buns yet but we have all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! I have thought about blogging before but was afraid of the time you have to commit to it. Now i do't have that excuse...Thanks again for your comment!

      Delete